Volunteer Donations Assistant
As a Volunteer Donations Assistant, we are looking for people who can help us sort through the donations we receive, deciding what we can sell in our shops and what needs to go online (for example eBay/Depop/Vinted) and then preparing the stock ready for selling.
We are very flexible and if you can only spare an hour a week, we’d love to hear from you. No previous experience is necessary as full training will be provided.
What would I be doing?
- Representing the charity by maintaining a welcoming and grateful attitude to all that come to support us
- Receiving donations into our drop off point (currently by appointment only) and storing them safely ready for sorting
- Sorting through the bags of goods donated and assisting in preparing them for sale in the shops.
- Arranging the correct and most cost-effective disposal of all unsuitable items (via rag man or the skip for example)
- Preparing and pricing items to make sure that they are ready for delivery
- Assisting with deliveries to each of our shops
- Polite and respectful communication with our supporters, fellow volunteers and staff at all times
- Strict adherence to all safety rules to ensure the safety of all, including yourself
- Preparing and planning for donations
- Creating and maintaining a safe working place for all
Please note: This role involves a fair amount of lifting and, by trolley, moving items from the collection point to the sorting areas, stores, laundry, etc. However, there are others to share the loads with and we also have a facilities team who will assist and deal with very heavy items – safe practice with manual handling will always be a priority and training will be given specifically in this area.
As agreed with fundraising team.
What skills do I need?
- Good communication and people skills
- Ability to use own initiative within set tasks
- Must be prepared to always behave in a manner which promotes the Charity and maintains its positive reputation within the community
- Ability to work and stay focused in a very active environment
- You must be able to work within relevant health and safety guidelines at all times
- You will be required to maintain appropriate confidentiality to protect the service users and departments within Strode Park Foundation
Will I receive any training?
There will be some form of basic training and a declaration to sign.
You will also be given full induction by the fundraising department so that you know where everything is, and what is required of you.
Due to the nature of the role a DBS Disclosure barring checks may be required for those aged 18+.
You will find all our staff and volunteers very friendly and approachable and we will be very grateful for any assistance you are able to give!
If you’d like to know more, call us for an informal discussion with no obligation to join the team. Call Karen Jeal on 01227 373292.