Become a volunteer befriender for our residents across our homes.
We’d love to hear from you if you could help be a friend for our service users.
What will I be doing?
We are looking for people to be there as a friend for our residents to provide friendly chats and companionship on a regular basis. There are opportunities across all of our homes. You’ll be required to do the following tasks:
- Come in for a tea and a chat to help combat loneliness and isolation
- Commit to at least 2-3 hours each week
- We need you to engage with and be interested in our residents and the things they like doing and what interests them
- We need you to be a good listener
- You’ll need to be reliable as our residents will like consistency and routine
- You’ll need empathy with the needs of other people
As agreed with fundraising team and home manager.
What skills do I need?
- Good communication and people skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Must be prepared to always behave in a manner which promotes the charity and maintains its positive reputation within the community
- You must be able to work within relevant health and safety guidelines at all times
- You will be required to maintain appropriate confidentiality to protect the service users and departments within Strode Park Foundation
Will I receive any training?
There will be some form of basic training and a declaration to sign.
You will also be given full induction by the home so that you know where everything is, and what is required of you.
Due to the nature of the role a DBS Disclosure barring checks may be required for those aged 18+.
You will find all our staff and volunteers very friendly and approachable, and we will be very grateful for any assistance you are able to give!
If you’d like to know more, call us for an informal discussion with no obligation to join the team. Call Karen Jeal on 01227 373292.